Monday, May 22, 2017

Breathing 1997

This last week I went from having bad allergies to suddenly having a bad chest cold.  I went to see my acupuncturist, Dr. Chu, who tortured me with needles and cupping, then sent me home with instructions to make sure I wore socks with my shoes(I had worn flip flops in) and a baggie of herbs to be taken twice a day.  Two days later I couldn't seem to move, think, or react.  My cough had turned into a deep ,wracking, and painful bark and I began to bring up nasty looking phlegm, colors that I wouldn't have minded using in my paintings but didn't feel good about making in my lungs, which ached terribly. My husband and I talked it over(he's a physician)and we decided that I had contracted a bacterial infection in my lungs(aka pneumonia) and I needed to start on antibiotics.  I'm an antibiotic nihilist, but, in this case, it seemed clear to me: if I didn't do something, I was going to be toast.  So, I started on doxycycline. I couldn't help but feel that something dark and scary had been knocking on my door, and I needed to do everything I could to keep that door shut, including wearing socks at all times and taking my daily dose of doxy.

3 comments:

  1. Yuk! So sorry & I can relate. I hate any kind of anti-bio-tics, but also had pneumonia and had to take it, my daughter got me probiotics which helped a lot. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you need them, you need them. Get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I’m from Malaysia, an English teacher gonna be. Now, I know that my goal readers are my students in the past. custom essay writing service I’d like to mark like this too attractive event and real hard work to make an enormous article. Thank you for the suggestions, I really enjoyed reading this. It is so much inspiring.

    ReplyDelete