Marriage: Any close or intimate union
Upon googling the differences between men and women this is what I found on the website of the Relationship Institute. I thought it odd and weirdly biased, as if written in the 50's, but yet still with some truth to it.
- A man’s sense of self is defined through his ability to achieve results, through success and accomplishment. Achieve goals and prove his competence and feel good about himself.
- To feel good about himself, men must achieve goals by themselves.
- For men, doing things by themselves is a symbol of efficiency, power and competence.
- In general, men are more interested in objects and things rather than people and feelings.
- Men rarely talk about their problems unless they are seeking “expert” advice; asking for help when you can do something yourself is a sign of weakness.
- Men are more aggressive than women; more combative and territorial.
- Men’s self esteem is more career-related.
- Men feel devastated by failure and financial setbacks; they tend to obsess about money much more than women
- Men hate to ask for information because it shows they are a failure.
- Women value love, communication, beauty and relationships.
- A woman’s sense of self is defined through their feelings and the quality of their relationships. They spend much time supporting, nurturing and helping each other. They experience fulfillment through sharing and relating.
- Personal expression, in clothes and feelings, is very important. Communication is important. Talking, sharing and relating is how a woman feels good about herself.
- For women, offering help is not a sign of weakness but a sign of strength; it is a sign of caring to give support.
- Women are very concerned about issues relating to physical attractiveness; changes in this area can be as difficult for women as changes in a man’s financial status.
- When men are preoccupied with work or money, women interpret it as rejection.